Daria Ferrero, first woman full professor at the Faculty of Architecture of the Politecnico di Torino

Daria Ferrero was an emblematic figure on the academic scene, succeeding in overcoming gender barriers and leaving an indelible mark on the history of the Politecnico di Torino as the first woman full professor at the Faculty of Architecture.

Her career began in the 1950s, when she joined the archaeological missions of the Politecnico di Torino, participating in excavations in Constantinople and Pamphilia.

She began collaborating with the Italian archaeological mission in Hierapolis of Phrygia in 1957, later becoming its Director.

In recognition of her professional achievements, she was awarded the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic on the proposal of the President of the Council of Ministers.

In 1976, she became the first woman full professor at the Faculty of Architecture of the Politecnico di Torino as Head of the course in History of Architecture.

Her appointment highlights the fact that some achievements have only been made in relatively recent times.

Daria Ferrero contributed significantly to consolidating the role of women in leadership positions, upholding women’s right to recognition of their potential for success. Her example continues to be a beacon for breaking through the glass ceiling, reinforcing the belief that talent and success have no gender.